Sunday 15 July 2007

Bug Tales



From eating bugs, I got myself a bug.


It's a 1973 VW beetle, 1200 cc, in all its green glory.


There's something about owning one, something I've never felt with all my previous cars, starting with a 18 yr old Mitsubishi (can't remember what, but it was bit of a bomb), a brand new maroon Suzuki Swift which my dad bought for me after graduation, Toyota Kijang in Indonesia, Hyundai Matrix when we came back to Singapore in 2003, Toyota Wish (which is the best family car in the world, and used by my wife), and now my very own bug.

It's quite an experience driving it. Like a newfound love, there's a bit of tenderness required in driving it. One must really be one with the car, have a good feel in all its mechanical glory.
There's nothing "auto" about it: stick shift manual gears; no power steering, no reverse sensors, no power windows; no car alarms; even the headlight switch is activated with a mechanical knob - but it is pure driving joy in its most basic raw form.

I actually got some metal sand paper, and scrubbed off the rust on the hub caps & WD40 everything. In my 15 years of driving, I have never ever even washed my car, let alone do any maintenance. The closest I get, is drive to the mechanic.

Now, it is probably one of the cheapest cars to get... but what a car it is.
Thanks Cami (who sold me the car) for this.
Pic of my car below

No comments: