Tuesday 27 February 2007

Remove that bible?!!!

I just noticed that the "sponsored link" sitting right on top of mail in my gmail account, was this website www.removethatbible.com

This made me think: from the numerous hotels I've stayed at, I've never really paid attention to the Gideon bible - one of those things you take for granted.

I've never really gospelized by osmosis - the mere presence of a bible hidden in a drawer didn't do much for me, especially when it was sitting next to the Koran (hotels in Indonesia).

No, I am not mocking the mission of the Gideons (ironically, the little I know is from the above website). The words within, whilst doesn't quite convert the book into a "Holy Book" like some sort of talisman, is the very words as inspired by God himself.
It is the very power of God - the same power that through mere words, created the very universe we exist in, the same power that rose Jesus from the dead, it is the same power of God that will bring salvation to those who believe - not by man's words or wisdom.
And for those whom God moved heaven and earth for, so that they would "chance" upon the Gideon bible so inconspicuously placed in the bed side drawer - Hallelujah!
Yes, pure foolishness of the Gideons to hope for such miracles, but since when has the wisdom of man outsmarted the foolishness of God?
Go Go Gideons!

ok, excuse the digression, back to the petition.
Now, I'm not really surprised about such a petition. As Paul writes (2 Corinthians 2:14-16)

But thanks be to God, who... through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of [Jesus] For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.

Yes, the good news of Christ, is a double-edged sword, and those who don't know God, they can't stand it - a foul stench, the "smell of death". And people have hated that smell from the beginning, culminating with them killing Jesus to rid of his smell. And people will keep hating this "smell of death", sadly blind to the aroma of life, even in this day and age.
They much prefer Famous Amos' "Free Smells"... the cookie that saves... NOT!

No, I say let's an eye for an eye. I am proposing my own online petition - so sign up here!

No comments: