Monday 5 February 2007

DG 101

New material
After a year of having to write our own studies, the church (Adam Road Presbyterian Centre) has decided to give us a break, and try out study guides again. Ironically, whilst initially thot it a "drag" coz of time commitment, I enjoyed writing my own studies, like my Uni days.
Now I have to fight the temptation of a lazy prep, the questions are all there, and even the answers!

But I do like these Pathway Bible guides we're using for Discipleship Group, this time covering Luke 9-12 over 7 studies.

PrimaFacie, it is theologically simple. Questions/material provided not as cheem/detailed as the normal Mathias Media studies we've been using. It even comes with leader's notes (maybe i should remove that section from everyone else, so that i can really appear smart - ha!)

Well, where it does well, is in the application part - where it gives us the opportunity to hit it home, and let the rubber hit the road - and that's the hard part. I've had a good opportunity to meditate on it myself, as well as drill this in the DG.
The starter questions are also pretty good - considering most others are pretty cliche, and i've always had trouble thinking up of good ones when writing my own.

New members
We've had a few nearly new members last year, but some reasons or other didn't work out. So we stayed pretty much the same numbers - which is good, coz we got to know each other, and were able to share more.

This year Athena, hubby SoonMeng and mom Ann, decided to join us, after their JFN group moved to Tuesday - and they prefer a Sunday. Whilst it does change the dynamics a little, it's good for the group I think, that it forces us out of our comfort zone - especially me, coz I'm "forced" to observe, listen, and see how we can integrate.
Well, it's a great encourage to me, for Ann, who is more "matured" than the rest of us - that she recently came to know Jesus, and now hungry to learn lots. It's great that our new friends are open, asking questions, and willing to share.

[19Feb update: Getting another couple from same DG as Athena & gang. Thanks Marie!]

Old workplace bible study group
Been trying to encourage my old workplace DG to meet up (stopped since I left abt 3 months ago... and I feel partly responsible...).
I must learn to trust in the Lord, that He will look after His flock, and that it isn't up to me 100% (thank God!) - Faithful we must be, but Trusting even more.

[19Feb update: sigh... this has died an unnatural death. Somehow, trying to meet up isn't working, and I have given up "nagging" - but not giving up on praying for em!]

oh yes, must remember to work on consistency of prayer life.
Just covered study in Luke on Parable of Annoying friend (my words), just after Lord's prayer. Need to be persistent.

No comments: