Friday 16 February 2007

My Funeral Service

It's never too late to think about dying.

My daughter prayed the other morning, for the kids to behave well, so that if daddy dies, they can take care of mommy - or something like that. Hmm... not quite sure whether it is a good prayer or not...

ok, about death, more specifically, what happens at my funeral service.
I saw "the weatherman" or something like that, with Nicholas Cage in it.
Not such a great show, but Nicholas' character had a living funeral service for his dad who was about to die. Not such a bad idea really.
But in the event that my wife/kids don't get the chance to, a after-I-die service will do - not much of a choice anyway.

Songs
These are the songs I wish sung
1. Amazing Grace - good story abt my life. God did pluck me out of sin, and only thru his grace I have been redeemed. Great funeral hymn, ends in great triumph - lots of people will cry.
2. God Sent His Son - another great old song I grew up with, a reminder of God's big plan, how can we not live for God, after what God has done for us?
3. In Christ Alone - one of my fav "modern" songs, esp the version by the iWorship series. what a great reminder of the basis of our salvation.
4. There Is A Higher Throne - [updaed 19Feb07] -thanks Anon for reminding me of the title. What a beautiful picture painted, but u know what? it ain't nothing compared with the real stuff!
5. It Is Well, With My Soul - [updated 7Mar07] - I hope that my family can sing this. This is of course no theoretical feel good hymn, but this is written by Horatio G. Spafford as the ship he was on, passed the place where his 4 daughters perished a few weeks earlier. Only the wisdom of God can help a man say it is well - what a powerful testimony.

[will add songs progressively]

Sermon
Hopefully lots of non-Christians family and friends will be there.
And hopefully ChrisChia will be around and available to speak (we were the first he married... if i don't remember wrongly).
Not sure how many services there are, but the sermon has got to be evangelistic please.
Maybe a passage on Revelation 20/21- coz that'll be reality for me then!
yes, make people envious - see lah, who ask u not to know Jesus and then die earlier than me?

Attire
oh please - none of that black and white only clothing.
how abt orange, yellow or lime green only - plus everyone has to wear crocs!
ok, something cheery - its a time of celebration, I have fought the good fight, I have won the race and receive my crown of righteousness - yes celebration time.

Coffin
Cremation is the order of the day. how abt something dramatic afterwards like sprinkling of ashes into the sea/ocean? none of that ashes in vase, stuck in some concrete hole stuff.
hopefully i'm not remembered by just my ashes.


oh yes, coffin. I'd prefer something cheap, but unique - not those boring lacquered wooden coffins. how abt something like this? but painted orange?

I'm not so sure I want my dead body to be seen - u can leave it sealed.
somehow, dead bodies look nothing like what they are when alive.

Organ Donation [updated 7March07]
Now, I don't really mind donating what left of me that can be recylced. But one small request, which came to mind after reading this - WAIT TILL I AM REALLY DEAD!!!! I would really like the benefit of that one more day, really.

But if I'm brain dead, and after my 1 day's grace and things don't improve, then to my family: pls don't waste money keeping the life machine on.

Anyway, I don't think I would really like being recalled back, after getting to be with Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one?

shadow said...

Hiya, have added you to a list of ARPC bloggers. Let me know if you want out ok? Cheers.

SooSing said...

thanks Anon! yes, that's the one.

Thanks shadow, no donch mind.
thanks for linking the ARPC folks - didn't know there was such a community - very helpful (let me see who I can go bug now :p)
btw how do u find ARPC folks who blog anyway... considering that i just started, u found my site pretty quick!