Tuesday 24 September 2013

Turning the Other Cheek on Murphy's Day

Sunday was an interesting day.

Started out bringing my youngest son cycling, having just bought our bikes a couple of weeks ago.

So we woke up 6ish, headed out at 7 to Jl. Sudirman (main street in Jakarta, right smack in the middle of town, but closed to traffic on Sundays for people to walk, jog, cycle etc). When I got there, we met our friends, and I had discovered my bike strangely having a flat tire, despite it being brand new, and I had cycled it back from the mall recently. So we pumped it up, and pumped, and pumped.

Hmm, still flat. There must be a puncture? But the bike is brand new, and I only rode it like 1 km back home and parked underground in the bike parking area. Anyway, my son heads off with our friends, and I pack up my bike. Not too happy about waking up so early for nothing! I did notice that there was a tear in the tire, looked like a "natural" tear, along the tire grooves, about 2 inches. Hmm. Grrr.

Time to go back, there was a massive jam trying to get out of the parking area. A newspaper (Kompas) had organized some charity run event, and it was a bottleneck getting in and out. We did eventually get out, and headed home, running very late for church!

So we quickly bathed, headed out the door.
Whilst at a traffic light, we were stationary, my phone buzzed, and strangely, saw an sms from my youth pastor saying he is running late for church? But before I knew anything, my car rolled forward (I thought my foot was on the brake fully), and bumped into the little car in front! Oh no.... good grief. Yes, I fully blame him, obviously.... couldn't have been my fault right?

I get out, see a big dent in his bumper, although my car looked fine. I apologized profusely, and we moved our car to the side. Young chap, wife and young child in the back - I was expecting him to be mad, but he was really nice. Asked if I had insurance (I do), gave him my name card, he gave me his handphone number, and off we went. That was it - he didn't get my driving license, a copy of the car registration. I could have given him a false name card, and easily change my phone number.

I realized later I had forgotten to take a picture of the dent, so I asked him to send a picture through his phone, which he kindly did. Even thanked me a few times... ?

Anyway, the next day, when I got my office to liaise with him, about the claim, we started chatting through whatsapp. Found out he was a Christian (which I suspected him putting his faith into practice when we had our little accident) - and he even offered to buy my family a meal if we ever got into his part of town.

Wow, hit a guy, get invited for a meal.
That is bizarre, but made me so thankful to God to meet a such a nice guy on a dreadful day. But it did then remind me of someone else. What can I say, it's really nice to be on the receiving end.

Matthew 5:38-41
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.  And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.


No comments: