Thursday 15 March 2012

Ready for Death?

On the way to lunch, I heard about someone (one of the bigwigs) from the office just passed away half hour earlier in Singapore. He had been unwell, and went to Singapore for treatment a week ago. 
During lunch, my colleague told me about how he met a contractor this morning, who kinda blacked out on site, and had to be rushed to hospital. After lunch, news was he too had passed away, around lunch time.

Gee, 2 deaths within an hour, is 2 deaths too many. Life is just so fragile and fickle.

God gives and takes. As much as we shake our hands against God, declare how much we don't believe in Him, depend on ourselves and our own riches, and live our lives our own way - at the end of the day, God's in charge. When it's time to go, it's time to go - there's not much we can do about it.
Unlike things, we cannot "insure" against death, we can at best, seek compensation for our families, in case of death. Our lives cannot be replaced (like we can go buy another car).


So it got me thinking.
The question of when we will die, is not something we can answer, until it is too late.
So the question is really, are we ready to face our death?

Am I ready to die? Yes and no.
No, so many things I want to live for, I want to see my children walk down the aisle with someone who loves God with all of their hearts. I want to grow old with my wife by my side. I want my dad to come to know Jesus.  I want to learn so much more about photography! 


Yet Yes! Because I know that my salvation has been procured by the blood of Jesus. God guarantees it by the Holy Spirit he gives, as a deposit of what is to come. There's no greater comfort to know that if I go, as much as it is sad to leave behind those whom I love, I will be with Jesus, the author of life, my creator, my savior and Lord. I'll get to ask him all the questions I have (who exactly did Cain marry?). It'll far exceed anything here on earth, that I'll miss. It'll blow my mind away.

Are you ready for death? 
Don't wait for the 11th hour. You may end up dying at half past ten.

2 Peter 3:8-10

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

No comments: