Monday 17 March 2008

Love your enemies

Oh, how I hate that command...

Why, why, why... God, did you have make us do the impossible?!!
Why love those who despise me?
Why pray for those who unfairly critisize me?
Why forgive those who make my life miserable?

Turn the other cheek? walk an extra mile when unfairly told to walk one mile?
Give the tunic for those who unfairly demand your coat?
Why God, oh why, is it so unfair?!!

And yet you did.
You loved those who rejected you.
You forgave those who crucified you.
You came to die for those who told you to get lost from their lives?
You died for the sin that is mine.... is that fair?

To be fair, we would be still enemies of God, as we shake our fists in his face
To be fair, we would bear the judgement of sin, that is rightfully mine.
To be fair, God would have excercised some Quality Control, and gotten rid of us, as we failed to live up to his standards.

God demonstrated his own love for us, whilst we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
God walked the talk
And God will continue to help us to love our neighbours, esp our enemies as we are freed from the slavery of sin, and now free to serve God.

Please God, teach me to love my enemies, those who hate me, and those I hate.
It's so hard, every fibre in me tells me to hate my enemies.
Oh teach me God... that I may obey...

Matthew 5:43-48
"You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

No comments: