Wednesday 23 July 2014

Celebrating life on a death anniversary?


So... its 3 years since my mum died. This was the last group shot we have.

We celebrate birthdays when a person is alive, and remember death anniversaries after they die. Which I find interesting since both being born, and dying - the person can't take any credit for either (typically). Its different from say.... graduating, getting license, celebrating wedding anniversaries - all of which involve a large part of the person's efforts.

But being born and dying- are typically events outside the control of the person.Maybe we should celebrate God, each time a person is born or dies. And its not really bad thing, coz we'd be celebrating God a lot, as we should.

Well, call me a rebel, but I say we don't celebrate the birth nor death of a person, but the days in between. Celebrate when the person was alive. I do think about my mum now and then, especially when I'm in Singapore.

I would like to remember my mum when she was alive, not when she died. I'd like to remember the things she did for my and my family. I'd like to forget all the things we'd get irritated about, the grudges we remember and hold on to. I'd like to remember how my mum loved cooking, how she'd fussed abt food, esp when we came over for dinner - my mum was in her element, and it was her thing. I remember the stuffed baby squid I'd love as a kid (she never made it when I was already grown up!) which I've never quite seen anywhere else. I love her stuffed beancurd (with fishcake, pork slices, cucumber, bunch of other stuff), together with her specially made sauce.

I love how carefree she was, when she'd visit us overseas, for a month. Well, to be honest, we became less carefree esp towards the end of the month.... but she really did like going out to shop for bargains - she'd excitedly show me her finds when I get back from work.

I love her labor of love in the garden, how proud she was of her trees/plants, and esp the plants she rescued from my home. 

Well, I'm thankful that she's now in heaven, having accepted Jesus as her savior in her own simple way. I am thankful that her "death" isn't the end, but a temporary pause in our relationship, till the day I can meet her again.

So mum, on this 3rd death anniversary, I'd like to celebrate your life, not just once a year (hopefully), but ongoing - remembering all the good things you were and did. You have lived a good life mum, not everything you wished for, but it was a race you ran. And more importantly, you finished it.

You are missed. See you soon.


2 Timothy 4:7,8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

No comments: