Thursday 23 February 2012

Best Camera to Have


The dictum is true: the best camera is the one with you. 
There is no point having an expensive (large/heavy) camera, only to leave it sitting in your dry cabinet.

My journey in Photography really started with my iPhone 3GS, which I got in 2009, before it getting stolen in 2010 (sigh).
(For me) the iPhone changed the paradigm for mobile photography, and it isn't about the camera built in - which was ok, but not fantastic.

Why do I like the iPhone?
Firstly, it's with you at all times.
And within one device, you can take a picture (discretely), process it (with more apps than you can possibly learn), then upload it immediately. Oh, it makes phone calls too.

I loved the iPhone for that versatility, and had great fun. Here's just a few examples of my mobile phone pictures.

1.Candid - Tourists


This was a picture taken in Forbidden City. The iPhone allowed me to stealthily take this candid shot (I snapped this from the hip, and kept walking) of a bunch of tourist taking a rest. 









2. Landscape - Lake District


The phone shoots well (like most cameras do) when the light is good. 







3.Architecture - British Museum

I love the British Museum (both content and architecture) - and this is an example of my attempt to at "playing" on lines and shadows. Mid day harsh light - but gave a nice hue to the glass ceiling as well. Not the best quality picture, but for my purpose - good enough job. 







 4.Apps - Philippines
I took this one lunch time, looking up, I liked the pattern of the lamp shades, snapped - then processed it on the spot (I don't remember which free app I used), and uploaded it to facebook.





5.Apps - Singapore National Day parade
Another fun thing I did.I went to the NDP, and shot with my iPhone. One the apps allowed me to do this "Inception" like effect.



6.Apps - Beijing


This is my favorite App for all: tilt-shift generator, which makes your pictures look like miniatures. I had great fun, and used this lots! The best... US$1.99 spent.




Summary
There are limitations to a camera phone. I was not happy with it especially in low light. I'm sure the latest iPhone 4S has decent resolution now, and slightly bigger aperture - but it just can't compare with the bokeh and low light ability of a DSLR. Then again, a DSLR cannot compare with the portability/use of use/stealth of a mobile camera.


I hope to share with you, that you don't need an expensive camera to take (good) pictures. Cameras don't take pictures, people do. You cannot compensate a "bad eye" with a good camera.

Whatever (camera) you have with you, know its limitation, then use it to its strength! 
Most importantly, keep your camera with you, and keep shooting.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pics with Great running commentaries. Simply beautiful. Love the pic at Beijing which was taken surreptitiously, best. Keep the pics rolling in (ie if you make it easy enuff for me to access).

SooSing said...

Thanks!

Btw, I'm moving all my photography related blogging to here: http://soosingphotography.blogspot.com/

which's is going to be linked with
https://www.facebook.com/SooSingPhotography